Supernatural Creatures in Reader’s Real World
- Is there such a thing as magic in this world?
- If there is magic, who has it?
- If there are people with magical abilities, where does it come from? (inborn or acquired)
- How widely known is the presence of magic or supernatural creatures in this world?
- Are there vampires, werewolves, incubi, succubi, deities, fae (all “little people” including pixies, brownings, sprites, etc), zombies, ghosts, witches, hybrid creatures, immortals, angels, demons, mutants, aliens in this world?
- Are they known to the general populace?
- What is their relationship with the general populace?
- If their presence is supposed to be secret, how do they keep it?
- Do they have an internal hierarchy or power structure?
- How do the internal conflicts of supernatural species affect the rest of the population?
- Is this species in conflict with humanity?
- How does this species view humans? Do they value human life?
- Are there humans with extra abilities such as telekinesis, telepathy, levitation, camouflage, psychic abilities, energy manipulation, healing powers, etc?
- If yes, where do these abilities come from?
- How are these abilities discovered?
- How are these abilities viewed by others?
- Is there a governing body responsible for either supernatural creatures or humans with superhuman abilities?
- If there is more than one supernatural creature type or human with superhuman abilities type, what is their relationship?
How to Develop Ghost Rules
Decide who has the special skill/who is the supernatural creature
- Are they born with it?
- Is it acquired?
Decide whether you will stick with the canon of pre-existing lore for that creature
- Will your vampires be pale and nocturnal? Or will they sparkle?
- Will your werewolves be able to control their change?
- Are your fae full-sized or little?
- Are your zombies slow-walkers or fast moving?
Decide how the laws of the universe apply
- Can magic create something from nothing or only alter/enhance what already exists?
- Can ghosts move objects? Manipulate technology?
- Are there parallel dimensions? If so, how do they interact?
Decide on the parameters of the skill/ability/supernatural-ness
- If vampires are strong, all vampires are strong
- If angels can interact with humans, is it all humans or specific humans and why?
- If ghosts can only move things when they are having strong emotions, that doesn’t change
Decide on mortality
- Can these beings be killed?
- If there is a way to kill them, does it apply to all of these beings?
- How difficult is it to kill them? Is that consistent?
- Is there special skill, or weapon required to kill them?
Decide on knowledge levels
- How much does the being/super human know about their origins?
- How much does the rest of the populace known about the being/super human?
- Is there a keeper of knowledge? And who decides access?
- Who in the story will convey knowledge to the reader?