From Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success by K.M. Weiland
What does the landscape look like?
- What kinds of plants grow here?
- What’s the climate?
- What kinds of animals are present in this world?
What kinds of societies are found in this world?
- What kinds of clothing are in style?
- What mortal and religious values define people’s world views?
- What language(s) do they speak?
- What form of government is currently in place?
How advanced is technology?
- What forms of long-distance communication are used?
- What modes of transportation are available?
- How has technology affected entertainment and the arts?
- How has technology affected weaponry and modes of war fare?
- How advanced are the fields of medicine and science?
What are the natural laws of this world?
- Which natural laws are different from our world (e.g. gravity)?
- Is there a magical force in your world? How does it work?
- What are its limitations?
What kinds of people populate this world?
- Are there different races?
- How do customs differ between people of different races and citizens of different districts?
- Do the ethnic factions get along?
What’s the history of this world?
- How many years of recorded history are available?
- What historical epochs have shaped society?